Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Griller/Car Accessories & Keys Cut/Christy's, 6-9 Mary Street, Dublin 1, Dublin City
50010450
Representative view from east
Reg. No.50010450
Date1880 - 1920
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315401, 234517
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Asshop/retail outlet
Additional Userestaurant
 
Description
Terrace of four two-bay three-storey houses, built c.1900, with shopfronts to each ground floor. Pitched slate roofs with common ridge having profiled red brick chimneystacks to party walls. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with moulded brick and granite coping. Cast-iron hoppers and downpipes breaking through parapet to either end. Machine-made red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, yellow brick to west gable and rear elevation laid in English garden wall bond. Gauged brick flat-arch window openings with granite sills and single-pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Replacement shopfronts to Nos.7, 8 and 9, that to No.6 having replacement glazed shopfront flanked by original brick pilasters and angled fascia flanked by paired decorative brackets and full-span cornice.

Appraisal

This group of four terraced two-bay three-storey buildings share the same roof, parapet wall and gutter system. Designed as a group with matching shopfronts, only that to No.6 survives partly intact. Mary Street was laid out by Humphrey Jervis, Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1681-3, in the area around Saint Mary's Abbey after buying much of this estate in 1674. Situated on the southern side of the west end of Mary Street, this late nineteenth or early twentieth-century group was designed to fit in with an historic streetscape with the plot ratio and vertical emphasis retained, complimenting the early character of this historic street.
 
Back To Results