Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
The Earl Bakery and Restaurant , 26 Earl Street North , Dublin 1, Dublin City
50010251
Front (south) elevation
Reg. No.50010251
Date1915 - 1920
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315961, 234702
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Useshop/retail outlet
In Use Asshop/retail outlet
 
Description
Terraced two-bay four-storey retail premises, built 1917-19, designed by George L. O'Connor. Flat roof concealed behind red brick parapet with moulded stone coping, red brick chimneystack and no visible rainwater goods. Red brick walling laid down in Flemish Bond having moulded stone cornice, frieze and archivolt over moulded stone modillion cornice, stone platband, projecting cornice at second floor level carried on fluted consoles, with ashlar Portland stone quoins. Camber-headed window openings to third floor having moulded stone window heads, stone sills and six-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Double-height bow-fronted oriel window to first and second floors having moulded stone embellishments, paired leaded casements with fixed-pane overlights carried on engaged pilasters with recessed panels, moulded stone swags and bows between floors. Moulded stone corbelled cornice forms continuous sill course to each floor. Marble shopfront, inserted c.1990. Square-headed central door opening with recent double-leaf doors. Metal lanterns to east and west. Fronts onto pedestrianised street.

Appraisal

Named after the Earl of Drogheda, Viscount Henry Moore, North Earl Street was badly damaged in the fighting of the Easter Rising in 1916. Much of the street was re-built between 1917 and 1919 as retail premises in a classical style. Number 26 has much attractive detailing to its front elevation. A high level of craftsmanship is demonstrated in the stonework which provides an attractive contrast to the red brick and is testament to skillful design by the architect George L. O'Connor. In 1919 number 26 was reconstructed for use as a wine and spirit merchant and the front façade retains much of the exuberant detailing characteristic of the period and function.
 
Back To Results