Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Main Record - County Cavan

Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Crossdoney Railway Station, County Cavan
Platform (east) elevation
Reg. No.40402526
Date1850 - 1860
Previous NameN/A
CountyCounty Cavan
Coordinates237656, 299694
Original Userailway station
Detached three-bay single-storey with dormer attic railway station, built c.1855, now disused. Pitched slate roof with oversailing verge to gables supported on purlins with carved ends. Rendered chimneystacks with plinth, plat band, cornice, tall clay pots, and sections of cast-iron rainwater goods. Squared rubble stone walls having dressed stone quoins and moulded cornice to eaves with moulded string course forming frieze. Segmental-headed window openings to platform elevation having two-over-two timber sash windows in cut-stone surrounds formed as smooth recessed architrave with roll-moulded reveals within hammer-dressed block-and-start jambs and keystone, having cut stone sills. Two-over-four segmental-headed sash windows to side elevations in red brick block-and-start surrounds. Canopy supported on square-profile timber posts with Doric capitals and chamfer-stop edges, carved timber end to beams supporting king-post truss with curved tie and drop newel. Segmental-headed door opening having cut stone surrounds with roll mouldings and blind oculus over, original double-leaf folding half-glazed timber panelled doors with fixed corresponding side panels. Yard to rear enclosed by rubble stone walls having outbuilding. Tracks disused and overgrown. Timber-framed waiting room to east side of track having cross-braced spandrel panels under fixed timber windows with margin panes.


A disused railway station of a picturesque design by architect George Wilkinson, that is an excellent example of the high standard of railway architecture in during the nineteenth century. Despite its poor condition, original features including windows and doors, roof, and timber canopy remain in situ. Stone dressings and detailing, in particular the fine window surrounds, are of the highest quality. Crossdoney Station was the last station before Cavan town on the Midland & Great Western Railway branch from Inny Junction, built 1856, and it served as the junction to the Killeshandra Branch, built 1886, both of which were closed by 1960. The station contributes to the social heritage of the county and forms part of the extensive railway network that developed during the nineteenth century. This building forms the centerpiece of an ensemble of intersting railway structures at Crossdoney, including the goods shed, railway workers' houses, and road bridge.
Back To Results