Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Cavan

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Rose Bank, Church Street, Ballyconnell, County Cavan
40304013
Front elevation
Reg. No.40304013
Date1840 - 1850
Previous NameN/A
TownlandDERRYGINNY
CountyCounty Cavan
Coordinates226924, 318773
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL
RatingLocal
Original Userectory/glebe/vicarage/curate's house
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached T-plan three-bay single-storey with half-dormer attic former rectory, built c.1845, with central gable. Now in use as private house and with recent single-storey extension to south. Pitched slate roof with cement ridges, red brick chimneystacks and uPVC rainwater goods. Coursed squared rubble limestone and sandstone walls with three recessed segmental-arched openings having red brick voussoirs to front elevation. Rendered walls to south elevation. Central door opening incorporating spoked fanlight and half side-lights with timber panelled doors. Replacement uPVC windows. Three rubble stone outbuildings to site. Set back from road behind rubble stone walls.

Appraisal

An attractive former Church of Ireland rectory with well-balanced late-Georgian proportions. The exterior decoration is restricted to the doorway which retains its original fanlight and sidelights. The dimensions of the window opening to the front façade suggest the original windows were likely Wyatt windows. The house occupies a prominent location on an elevated site with views to the church, although partly shielded from the road by mature trees which enhance its setting. The attendant rubble stone outbuildings add to its context and setting. The former rectory is part of the social and architectural heritage of Ballyconnell.
 
Back To Results