Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Cork

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Fort Davis, County Cork
20908778
View of mass concrete entrance from north.
Reg. No.20908778
Date1860 - 1880
Previous NameN/A
TownlandCARLISLEFORT
CountyCounty Cork
Coordinates181875, 62467
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usefortification
 
Description
Group of fortifications, built c. 1870, now derelict. Comprising mass concrete single-bay four-storey entrance block with integral carriage arch, rectangular openings and gun loops, flanked by mass concrete walls. Pier, remains of boathouse and section of cobble paving to north. Multiple-bay single-storey barrack building to south, having red brick rendered walls, and camber-, round- and square-headed openings. Batteries, casemated gun emplacements and various chambers located to south.

Appraisal

Forming a pair with Fort Meagher (formerly Camden Fort) across the water, this pair was crucial to the harbour's defence. Mirroring each other in many ways, they were designed to operate as a single defensive unit and were contemporaneously updated and developed. The strategic importance of the harbour can be seen in the number of military buildings constructed throughout the centuries at this site, Fort Meagher, Spike Island, Haulbowline, etc. Cork Harbour, along with Lough Swilly and Berehaven remained in British control until 1938, at which time the Treaty Ports were returned to the Irish government. The early use of concrete adds to the site's architectural and technical interest.
 
Back To Results