Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Cork

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Holy Trinity Church of Ireland Church, Frankfield, County Cork
20908620
Front (south) elevation from south-west
Reg. No.20908620
Date1835 - 1840
Previous NameN/A
TownlandCURRAGHCONWAY
CountyCounty Cork
Coordinates168221, 68354
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Freestanding single-cell double-height Church of Ireland church, built 1838, with breakfronted bays creating cruciform-plan. Three-bay nave, having gabled breakfront bays to west end of north and south elevations, and to west gable, with south breakfront forming entrance. Projecting chancel to east. Single-storey vestry to north-east. Pitched slate roofs having tooled limestone parapets and cast-iron rainwater goods. Tooled limestone bellcote with crenellated parapet and corner pinnacles to west gable of nave. Tooled limestone finial to entrance bay and dressed limestone chimneystack to vestry. Dressed limestone walls having tooled limestone plinths and quoins, tooled limestone buttresses to nave. Pointed arch window openings with ashlar limestone sills, surrounds and hood mouldings to nave and side (west) elevation. Tripartite and bipartite window openings within reticulated timber tracery, having quarry glazed and lead-lined stained glass windows. Blind lancet window openings with tooled limestone surrounds and carved limestone hood mouldings to breakfront bays. Group of three lancet window openings with chamfered stone sills and block-and-start surrounds to chancel, having lead-lined stained glass windows surmounted by dressed limestone relieving arch. Lancet window openings with stone sills and block-and-start surrounds to vestry having quarry glazed windows. Square-headed door opening with chamfered limestone surround and label moulding to entrance bay having double-leaf timber panelled doors. Square-headed door opening with chamfered stone surround and limestone step to vestry having timber panelled door. Set within graveyard enclosed by rubble stone wall to front and sides having tooled limestone coping stones, square-profile gate piers and replacement metal gates.

Appraisal

Built by the renowned architects, Deane & Woodward, and commissioned by Samuel Lane, a member of an influential Cork family, this is an excellent nineteenth century church. The architectural design and detailing apparent in the building set it apart from other contemporary churches found in the county. The almost intact interior continues the careful design and execution seen on the exterior.
 
Back To Results