Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Cork

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Nathlash Church of Ireland Church, County Cork
20901828
View of church tower from east.
Reg. No.20901828
Date1810 - 1815
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBALLYVODDY
CountyCounty Cork
Coordinates171744, 107991
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Freestanding three-stage tower and spire, built 1812, formerly west end of St Nathlash Church of Ireland, rest of building demolished 1889. Parapet wall enclosing octagonal spire of ashlar limestone. Roughcast lime render over rubble limestone walls with cut-stone quoins, each stage divided by rendered string course of roughly cut stone. Round-headed and blind Diocletian opening to first stage. Oculus openings to second stage and round-headed openings to third stage, latter having remains of timber louvers. Remains of nave walls project from tower. Round-headed entrance doorway in south side of tower flanked by round-headed shallow recess. Round-headed opening to interior gave access into nave. Set in graveyard. Rubble limestone boundary walls having double-leaf cast-iron gates to south-east.

Appraisal

This is an impressive example of an early nineteenth-century bell tower with spire, which once stood at the west end of St Nathlash's Church of Ireland church in Rockmills. It has decorative detail, such as the blind openings, that gives the tower added character. The tower is a reminder of the once thriving community that lived and worked in and around the former village of Rockmills in the nineteenth century. Its location on an elevated ground in the graveyard makes it an important, imposing landmark building in the area.
 
Back To Results