Main Record - County Cork
|Saint John's church, Ballynoe, County Cork
|Date||1850 - 1860|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL|
|In Use As||house|| |
Freestanding former Church of Ireland church, dated 1855, having five-bay nave, slightly lower chancel to east, lean-to vestry projection to north elevation, and porch projection to south elevation. Now in use as private house. Pitched slate roofs with some cast-iron rainwater goods, cut limestone copings to gables, rendered chimneystack, and rendered copings to bracketed eaves. Coursed rubble red sandstone walls having buttresses to corners of west gable and to south elevation. Stained glass chamfered quatrefoil window with date 1855 to west gable. Lancet windows, some with uPVC replacement glazing. Triple lancet east window, now blocked up. Pointed arch opening to porch, with step. Square-headed opening to vestry, both having replacement doors. Sandstone boundary walls with cut limestone piers to site. Set back from road, adjacent to graveyard and former glebe house.
This former Board of First Fruits Church of Ireland church was converted c. 1960 for use as a house, a relatively unusual reuse of such an historic building. It is particularly significant in its juxtaposition between the graveyard and glebe house. The cut-stone detailing of the building make it a notable part of the local architectural heritage and the stained-glass window with a date is unusual because it is read from the outside.
Back To Results|