Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Cork

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Crawford Observatory, College Road, Cork, Cork City
20866142
Front (north) elevation
Reg. No.20866142
Date1875 - 1885
Previous NameN/A
TownlandGILLABBEY
CountyCork City
Coordinates166158, 71204
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SCIENTIFIC SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingNational
Original Useobservatory/telescope
In Use Asobservatory/telescope
 
Description
Detached multiple-bay observatory, dated 1880, having octagonal double-height central block, flanking single-storey wings and gable-fronted advanced central-bay with lean-to entrance porch. Domed copper roof to central block with barrel vaulted roof to side wings behind cut limestone parapet wall with rolled stringcourse. Pitched slate roof to advanced bay and single-pitch slate roof to entrance porch with cast-iron rainwater goods. Squared-and-snecked limestone walls with buttresses and carved date plaque on brackets under cut limestone hood moulding with carved stops to front (north) elevation. Ogee-headed window openings having cut limestone surrounds and timber casement windows. Pointed arch door opening with cut limestone surround to timber battened door with cast-iron strap hinges.

Appraisal

Constructed between 1878 and 1880, the observatory was funded in part by local businessman William Horatio Crawford of Beamish and Crawford and by the Duke of Devonshire. The building was designed by Howard Grubb, one of the foremost scientific instrument makers of the nineteenth century. Grubb also designed and constructed all of the instruments and clocks for the observatory including an equatorial telescope, a transit circle and a siderostatic telescope. It is particularly due to the survival of the original equipment in situ that the building merits its national rating.
 
Back To Results