Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Cork City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Cork Museum, Fitzgerald Park, Mardyke Walk, Cork, Cork City
20866124
Front (east) elevation
Reg. No.20866124
Date1840 - 1850
Previous NameN/A
TownlandSUNDAY'S WELL
CountyCork City
Coordinates166023, 71608
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Asmuseum/gallery
 
Description
Detached five-bay two-storey house, built 1845, with recent extension to north. Now in use as a museum. Hipped slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls with cast-iron bell to west elevation. Square-headed window openings with tooled limestone sills and four-over-two (first floor) and four-over-four (ground floor) pane timber sliding sash windows. Timber shutters visible to interior. Segmental-arched door opening with timber doorcase comprising Ionic columns supporting fascia and cornice to double-leaf timber panelled door, side panels and cobweb fanlight. Accessed via cut limestone steps. Set within park grounds.

Appraisal

This fine house was originally a private residence built by Charles Beamish in 1845 on land purchased from the Duke of Devonshire. Following the completion of the house the grounds (now Fitzgerald Park) were laid out with a great variety of shrubs and trees. In 1886 the house became the home of the Bons Secours Sisters before returning to a private residence for Mr Barry J. Sheehan, and later Mr Cornelius Desmond (1897). It was sold in 1901 to the Incorporated Cork International Association. During the Exhibition of 1902/03 the Committee used the house for visiting dignitaries who included King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra. The house has been used as the city museum since 1910. The fine door surround, timber sash windows, tooled limestone sills, and surviving historic interior fittings are among the features which add to its significance.
 
Back To Results