Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Cork City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
St Nicholas's Church, Cove Street, Cork City, Cork City
20514598
Representative view
Reg. No.20514598
Date1845 - 1855
Previous NameN/A
TownlandCORK CITY
CountyCork City
Coordinates167355, 71404
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached Gothic-Revival Church, built 1850; formerly Church of Ireland, now closed and deconsecrated; having slate steeply pitched roofs and limestone roof to steeple, squared limestone ashlar walls, stepped buttresses and cut limestone verges, with open timber roof to gallery and timber panelling to Chancel; set in elevated site with graveyard, limestone ashlar gateways to Cove Street and to Nicholas Church Lane, cast iron gates, with overthrow to Cove Street gateway; currently undergoing renovation.

Appraisal

Significant mid nineteenth-century Gothic-Revival Church, with much original fabric intact. Designed by Welland, with steeple by Atkins and transept windows by Hemmings. Built to replace earlier church on same site. Deconsecrated, and internal fittings and fixtures stripped out in early 1990's.
 
Back To Results