Failte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Site Fact Sheet Page

Return to list of sites in Louth

Name of Site : Louth Hall
Address :
Townland : LOUTH HALL
Previous Name :
Description : Once very fine large demesne now lost, though retaining its original layout and some features. Established by the Plunkett family c. 1320; the castle was subsequently enlarged, the land surrounding it remained in the family posession until the 20th century. Now intensively farmed. Landscape park for house positioned in a prominent position with vistas to south over falling ground and ponds below, a plantation with walks lead to the walled garden to the west. A wide area beyond served as parkland and was heavily studded with trees in the 19th century. At that time the approach drive curved as for a landscape park; two very long straight internal avenues probably had an earlier origin.
Garden ID : LH0046
LH0046_1
Irish Grid Coordinates: E:296597
N:294917
CountyMap (Will open in a new Window)
NIAH Number(s)
13901426
Historic Map Small Size Map (Will open in a new Window)
Large Size Map (Will open in a new Window)
Aerial Image Small Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)
Large Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)
 
Site of historical importance - now partially derelict or destroyed
View Site Survey Report View Historical References View Site Photographs