Failte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Site Fact Sheet Page

Return to list of sites in Donegal

Name of Site : Bishop's Palace
Address :
Previous Name :
Description : Large site for early 17th century semi-fortified house set on high ground with commanding views, on the eastern side of Raphoe. The house lies in ruins, derelict after a fire in 1838. A bungalow and working farm lies just northeast of the house. Some development has encroached on the northeast boundary of the demesne. Walled garden remains, though not intact. Tree cover greatly reduced but some fine mature trees remain. Described in 1837 as "a handsome and spacious castellated building, pleasantly situated in tastefully disposed grounds." (Lewis)
Garden ID : DG0115
Irish Grid Coordinates: E:402710
CountyMap (Will open in a new Window)
NIAH Number(s)
Historic Map Small Size Map (Will open in a new Window)
Large Size Map (Will open in a new Window)
Aerial Image Small Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)
Large Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)
Site of historical importance - now partially derelict or destroyed
View Site Survey Report View Historical References View Site Photographs