Failte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Site Fact Sheet Page

Return to list of sites in Donegal

Name of Site : Glenveagh Castle
Address : Glenveagh National Park
Previous Name :
Description : Outstandingly beautiful site for c. 1870 castellated house built on the shores of Lough Veagh and surrounded by vast acres of rugged mountainous landscape. Grounds laid out for the original owners John and Cornelia Adair. Subsequently enhanced by successive owners, especially Henry Mcllhenny, who employed Lanning Roper and Jim Russell to plant and redesign various areas around the house, where there are a variety of well laid out and successfully planted compartments. The plant collection and grounds are fully maintained to a high standard as part of Glenveagh National Park. The site is well published. Open all year round to visitors.
Garden ID : DG0077
Irish Grid Coordinates: E:420983
CountyMap (Will open in a new Window)
NIAH Number(s)
Historic Map Small Size Map (Will open in a new Window)
Large Size Map (Will open in a new Window)
Aerial Image Small Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)
Large Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)
Significant site, substantially intact - built structures and planting in good condition
View Site Survey Report View Historical References View Site Photographs