Failte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Site Fact Sheet Page

Return to list of sites in Donegal

Name of Site : Castle Wray
Address :
Townland : CASTLEWRAY
Previous Name :
Description : The original seat in Co. Donegal of the Wray family, one of the most important landowners in the county. The site was purchased in 1610 and the original house was of .lime and stone within its protecting bawn.. This was replaced in the 18th century by a two-storey house on or near the same site by a stream and overlooking Lough Swilly. A suitable landscape park was laid out for this house. The stone walled garden lies across the stream over a bridge. The Georgian house has gone and the nearby outbuildings are ruinous but the immediate area has changed little. The wider area of demesne lands has been fragmented as either farmland or built over by large properties in generous grounds. The Wrays left in the late 19th century. Subsequent owners left in the early 20th century.
Garden ID : DG0024
DG0024_1
Irish Grid Coordinates: E:415074
N:222059
CountyMap (Will open in a new Window)
NIAH Number(s)
Historic Map Small Size Map (Will open in a new Window)
Large Size Map (Will open in a new Window)
Aerial Image Small Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)
Large Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)
 
Site of historical importance - now partially derelict or destroyed
View Site Survey Report View Historical References View Site Photographs