Failte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Site Fact Sheet Page

Return to list of sites in Donegal

Name of Site : Ards House
Address :
Previous Name :
Description : A large demesne situated on the Ards peninsula, on the extreme northwest coast of Co. Donegal. House, c. 1830, built for the Stewarts on the site of an earlier house for the Wrays. House demolished c. 1965; friary built adjacent to the site. Set in a wooded park of over 2000 acres. Described by Young in 1909, as "one of the most beautiful demesnes in the north of Ireland." Some developments, such as a car park and landscaping changes have been made in the vicinity of the friary. In addition, trees have been planted by the Forestry Commission on the northern side of the demesne. However, many elements of the historic demesne remains, including fine mature trees, some outbuildings and a large walled garden and associated buildings. The northern half of the demesne is now Ards Forest Park, managed by Coillte and the southern half is owned by Ards Friary.
Garden ID : DG0002
Irish Grid Coordinates: E:434404
CountyMap (Will open in a new Window)
NIAH Number(s)
Historic Map Small Size Map (Will open in a new Window)
Large Size Map (Will open in a new Window)
Aerial Image Small Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)
Large Size Air Photo (Will open in a new Window)
Significant site - some loss of integrity
View Site Survey Report View Historical References View Site Photographs